Tuesday 15 October 2013

Classroom rules and routines

Every classroom has its own rules and routines and it is down to the teacher to ensure they're followed and respected. I have seen many different classrooms and experienced a range of different classroom rules. Some I agree with and others I feel can be more specific so that students are not bombarded with a list of rules.

I personally believe that a few simple rules are very much necessary but only if delivered correctly. For example a teacher that reads off a list of rules at the start of the year and not once mentions them again has wasted their time in my opinion. Similarly a teacher that does not agree on them with the class' approval will have wasted their time as they may not be agreeable.

Therefore, with my classes I will ask to expect one thing and that is respect. If a child respects themselves, others, equipment and the environment then I feel that every child will be able to access the curriculum and be able to learn in an appropriate manner. However, as mentioned previously, I need to ensure that the children agree on the rules.

Once the children have agreed on my rules I will then ask them to suggest what they expect of me as a teacher. From experience, I have found that children want the teacher to be fair and ensure that the classroom is emotionally safe. This will mean that the child feels that the rules are a two way factor and that they're responsible for holding up their end of the deal.

Once these rules have been made I will actively ensure that they are reiterated to the student if they decide to break the rules. Through experience I have noticed that if the teacher upholds their end of the bargain then they can use that against the misbehaving student and explain that if I am keeping my end of the deal why aren't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment